- Tip Do NOT miss the Lightner Museum in the huge Historic Alcazar Hotel in St. Augustine! Opens at 9. Do this first so you won't run out of time - It is in itself worth the drive!
Not a "usual" Museum - has huge collections of several types of Art, Antiques, Railroad Items, Old Dental Tools, Old Engines, Natural History specimens and Tiffany Stained Glass - Plus many other unusual Items - including old Nineteenth-century mechnical musical instruments that are demonstrated daily at 11
and at 2 - the first "Juke boxes."
Mechanical Pipe Organ - Lightner Museum - Plays paper "belt" vs roll
-Demonstrated at 11 & 2 daily with other Mechanical "self play" Musical Instruments
Allow minimum of 3-4 hours - you will still want to go back and see the rest that you missed!
Cafe Alcazar inside Museum on first floor is top rated and open Tues - Sat from 11:30 am - 3 pm.
Check out the Ligntner Museum Web Site with many pictures to see some idea of how Lightner is "Not just a Regular Museum." (They don't even show any of their great "Mechanical" Exhibits on their Web Site.)
Click the "Visit the Museum" button to see a Beautiful picture of the Huge Alcazar Hotel Building, Fountain, and grounds. Can click the small Hotel Image to go to a Large View of the magnificent Hotel and fountain. (now the Lightner Museum) Open 7 days/week - 9-5. Adults (2005) $8 - Kids ages 12-18 - $2 - under 12 with adult free.
- Next "Must See" in St. Augustine is Castillo De San Marcos National Monument and Fort. Built 1672-95. Massive Interesting structure right at Ocean's edge. One of the most educational Florida St Augustine Attractions. The Spanish Fort is an important part of the St Augustine beaches history. It once was a part of the Defenses for the Spanish Treasure Fleets. Open 8:45 - 5:15 Adults- Age 16 & above (2005) $6 - Kids 15 & under free (ticket good for 7 days). Allow 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
(Aerial Photo from NPS Web Site on Castillo De San Marcos National Monument - link above)
Tip Age 62 or Older? Use your Golden Age Passport and save 50% for you and your spouse - see our Discount Travels - age 50+ page for details.
It is at the northeast end of the Old City across the street to the east of where you begin the Old City St. Augustine walking tour - (Hopefully you will have time to do at least parts of that.) There is a large parking lot adjacent to the Monument and Fort.
- Tip Return by way of A1A down to Palm Coast -then over to I-95. This route lets you drive the Ocean Front A1A Highway in an area where it runs by some beautiful homes and is very close to the Ocean for great Views.
-- AND --
- . . As you leave St. Augustine on A1A - Across the "Bridge of Lions" at the East end of Cathedral Street - you will go by the St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum on the southeast end of town
Tip (Save this for last as you leave at about 5pm because of the later time it closes.)
Do 219 step climb to the top of the lighthouse for panaroma view of St. Augustine and its beaches. Museum and restored light keepers house are open until 6 pm so can save it until last since most other attractions close at 5pm. Allow 1 hour if doing climb. Lighthouse + Museum $6.50 - over 54 - $5.50 (Museum only $4 or $3 - however, skip Museum only option unless you have time to climb to top for the Lighthouse view!)
Historic St Augustine Lighthouse
- 165 feet tall - great view at top!
Larger version of this picture on our Florida St Augustine Attractions & Beaches -"Must See's," Pictures, & Tips Pg
We think we will try to find a bed and breakfast for an overnight up at St. Augustine the next time we stay in the Florida Cocoa Beaches or Satellite Beaches area. We can then stay over in order to have more time to explore this interesting historic town and the many Florida St Augustine attractions! - (either a Substitute for one day at Orlando or an added 8th day. If you have the kids, they would probably enjoy the Orlando Attractions more.)
Read candid user reviews and see 51 St. Augustine Florida Resorts & Hotels ranked by popularity with comparison pricing at this link: Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travelers have to say at TripAdvisor for St Augustine -- Resort Hotels & Florida Vacation Beach Rentals
[Update - June 2 - 11, 2005 Vacation to St Augustine & Cocoa Beach] - We stayed one night at a Bed & Breakfast in the St Augustine Historic Old City and one in a hotel near the Beach before the start of our Sat. - Sat. week in oceanfront Timeshare at Cocoa Beach. Had more time to check out the many Florida St Augustine attractions and great oceanfront restaurants!
See new additional St Augustine page posted - St. Augustine Florida Beaches & Attraction Pictures which has some of the pictures with comments & "reviews" - Also - St. Augustine FL Beaches Guide & St Augustine Campground & RV Park Guide + some new Cocoa Beach pages!
Please send us any good Florida St Augustine Attractions and points of interest which you have discovered that are not mentioned here. Or send us your Comments on our Comments, Suggestions, & Favorites Page . Thanks!
Take a fun cheap Florida - or wherever - US mini-Vacation. See the highly discounted Getaway Vacation Lodging Packages from $79 on our new Timeshare Vacation Promotions page - Many include free Attraction Tickets.
Or see our Almost " Free " Time Share Vacations - Getaways with Time Share Resort Tour "price" page.